Saturday 6 August 2011

From figure dream to dream figure: Day 41, and no excuses...

Today is day 41 of my bodybuilding competition prep and it seems like a good day to talk about overcoming obstacles and not giving in to excuses. For the last couple of weeks my diet has become increasingly strict, with calories now on the very low side, so the last couple of days have been a challenge owing to the fact that I have had to work around being out late last night watching the diamond league athletics at Crystal Palace and attending a fabulous wedding today. It would have been quite easy to succumb to the amazing smell of chips wafting around the stadium yesterday, but not nearly as easy as it would have been to indulge in the amazing wedding dinner of thai prawns and noodles, lamb and gratin potatoes and incredible chocolate cake (not to mention the vino)! As it was, I managed to stick vigilently to my diet and enjoyed some smoked salmon (thanks to the awesome caterers for making these for me specially!), tons of veg and a protein shake instead.

This is me with my 'dessert'...


and my yummy canapes...


Now I'm no dietary martyr. I enjoy bad foods as much as the next person and can think of excuses as to why I couldn't stick to the plan as well as anyone. But at the end of the day, there are a few reasons why I was able to stick to my diet despite considerable temptation, and I am certain these things will also help you whenever you are close to falling of your fat loss plan..

1) Having a goal that is really important to you. A goal is not really a worthy goal if in your heart of hearts you're not really fussed about achieving it. That doesn't mean it will be easy, but it will make you think real hard before you jeopardise your progress.

2) Having people to be accountable to. I have my coach, my friends who are coming all the way to Stratford next week to support me, and the team and members at my gym to be accountable to. When I stand on stage next week I will know that I have done everything I can to be my best on the day and that is all I can do. If I'd let excuses get in the way I would have not only let myself down but them as well, which adds extra weight to the goal. So if your goal doesn't have a definitive date yet, then give it one. It adds urgency to the process and will make you think twice before giving in to temptation. Temptation is much like anything else, once you've overcome it a few times, it becomes a habit and you become confident in your ability to handle it.

3) Preparation. I had my nutrition for last night and today all mapped out before I left the house, and pre-empted temptation by ensuring I had access to the right foods at the right time. This meant packing a cool bag with salmon and beans and a protein shake and finding out what was on the menu as soon as I arrived so that I could plan ahead and ensure I wasn't hungry and had an alternative to eat. I couldn't let what other people would think act as an excuse for spoiling weeks of hard work, and nor was I going to miss my good friends' wedding, and as it happened it was the subject of much interest at my table anyway :) So always plan in advance, both training and nutrition, and never skip meals... that way you won't get hungry or even have an excuse for eating something off plan because there was no alternative... all you need is a cool bag!

It's now just one week until my competition and I am looking forward to what will undoubtedly be a challenging week or training, diet and preparation. Bring it on!

Charlotte

Owner
Phoenix Pro Fitness

Follow us on twitter at @charlotteord and @phoenixprofit

No comments:

Post a Comment